This reef is 7.4 kilometres north of Dalmorton near the junction of Dinner and Abercrombie Creeks. The main reef was first prospected in 1872 and in 1873 a shaft was sunk to 13.1 metres at which depth it was reported the quartz was richer in gold and was 1.0 metre in width. Drives were constructed both sides of the shaft along the reef at the lowest level. The main reef is about 300 metres long striking at 120° and varies in width between 0.51 m. and 1.0 m. A second reef lies sub-parallel and near to the main reef. Production, if any, in the 1870's is unrecorded. In 1886, a trial crushing of 12.2 tonnes of ore from the main reef yielded 42 gm, Au/tonne and in 1898-99, 15.2 tonnes from the second reef yielded 114 gm. Au/tonne. No work was done in the area after 1900.
This reef cuts Dinner Creek near the Abercrombie reef and was reported to be 0.41 m. in width and rich in gold. A shaft was sunk (Kenzie's shaft) to a depth of more than 12 metres in 1873 but no production records are available.
Reef about 300 metres long bearing north-east, situated about 7 kilometres south of Dalmorton. Operated between 1890 and 1894 but no reports available.
This reef is located on the high plateau north of the Little River, west of Cunglebung. The reef is several hundred metres in length and reputed to be wide. A shaft was sunk to 18 metres depth and 145 tonnes mined in 1914-15. No production records.
Situated about 8 kilometres south of Dalmorton on Chandler's Creek near Campbell's Creek, the main reef varies between 0.3 to 0.65 metres in width over about 700 metres, striking at 10°.
The main lode was reported as well-defined and "showing gold freely, "and was discovered in 1889 and operated to a depth of 15 metres by the Excelsior Gold Mining Syndicate until 1891, when it was taken over for a short period by the Chandler's Creek Amalgamated Company. At least six other reefs run parallel to the main reef, one of which was worked to a depth of five metres.
BLACK SLATE CREEK
This was an important mine situated at Mount Swain about 9.5 kilometres in a straight line south of Dalmorton. About thirty reefs, varying in width between 5 cm. and 1.25 m. occurred over a length of 500 metres bearing 20°. Between 1889 and 1893 the mine operators erected a 10-head stamper battery and an aerial tramway, sunk two shafts to depths of 15.2 and 9.1 m., constructed several tunnels and produced 24.7 kgms. of gold from 332.9 tonnes (74 gm. Au/tonne). In order to develop lower grade ore an effort was made to raise additional capital and in 1895 an attempt was made to float a company on the London stock market. Capital raising seems to have been unsuccessful as operations did not restart except for limited work by tributors in 1898.
The location of this reef is unknown, however a company was floated to mine the reef in 1896.
This reef is located about 5 kilometres west of Dalmorton at Oakey Creek near the Isabella reef. In 1889 a well defined reef one metre wide was located and a tunnel was driven on it. The average grade was apparently too low at the time and work ceased.
This reef is located near Dalmorton township and was worked during the early 1870's. It was described as a large reef but low grade (15 gm. Au/tonne). A prospecting tunnel was driven 61 metres along the reef in 1897 to 1898 however the grade did not improve and by 1900 all activity had ceased.
This reef is at Cunglebung north of Dalmorton. In 1898, 20 tonnes of quartz were crushed for a yield of 9.3 gm. Au/ tonne resulting in losses and the prospect was abandoned.
This reef is at Cunglebung north of the Little River and was reported to be 0.45 m. in width. A trial crushing in 1877 yielded only 11.2 gm. Au/tonne and no further work was done. Shafts were sunk on nearby reefs in 1873 the Christmas Box (15 m. depth) and the Golden Crown, but only small quantities of quartz were stockpiled and no crushing done.
This reef strikes at a bearing of 15° over 200 metres and is situated at Chandler's Creek 400 metres east of the Black Jack Reef. The reef was prospected to shallow depth however no reports are available.
The Excelsior Reef is located north of Chandler's Creek about 7.5 kilometres south of Dalmorton. It extends over a strike length of about 700 metres bearing at 115° and is shallow dipping (reef width 0.3 m. to 0.6 m). A second reef to the south, the Excelsior Extended strikes east-west over about 350 metres with a reef width of 0.3 m. In 1889, 10 tonnes of quartz was sent to Sydney for a trial crushing. The results were reputed to show yields of 150 to 180 gm. Au/ tonne. During January 1890 analyses from selected samples taken from 18 metres depth showed values up to 1200 gm. Au/ tonne. Although a battery was erected in the area, no mining was conducted except by tributors who, in 1893, selectively mined 114.8 tonnes of ore which yielded 5.7 kgms. of gold (50.1 gm/tonne).
Little is known about the Florida Reef which was first discovered in 1889. It bears at 10° over approximately 300 metres in length and is just north west of the Garden Hill reef. By January 1890 a shaft had been sunk to 12 metres and the reef at this depth was reported to be exceptionally rich.
Three reefs occur in this area about 6.1 kilometres south of Dalmorton - the Garden Hill, the Chicago and the Little Barbara. The Garden Hill reef is about 475 metres in length bearing at 80°. West of the Garden Hill reef is the Chicago reef about 225 metres long and also bearing at 80°; the Chicago and the Garden Hill may be parts of the same reef slightly displaced by fault. Early assays of samples from the Garden Hill and Chicago reefs showed values up to 155 gm. and 215 gm. Au/tonne respectively. The Little Barbara reef to the south bears north-east over more than 100 metres. The Garden Hill reef was first discovered in 1888. The reef is large and well defined and several shafts were sunk to depths of 17 metres. A trial crushing of a few tonnes yielded 75 gm. Au/tonne, however a second trial crushing of 30 tonnes yielded only 15.7 gm. Au/tonne which was very low grade in those days and a great disappointment for the lease holders. Little was done until the leases were taken over in 1891 by the Chandler's Creek Amalgamated Mining Company, which drove a tunnel along the reef and intersected a rich ore shoot within the reef after 45 metres. The company crushed 366.8 tonnes of ore from the shoot for a return of 16.27 kgm. of gold at an average grade of 44.35 gm./tonne. In 1893, however, the company sold all the equipment and cleared off the ground. The following year, with government aid, individuals sunk a shaft on the reef to 43 metres depth (the deepest shaft, by that time, in the whole district) , and at that depth struck a zone within the reef yielding 46 gm. Au/tonne. After that, work ceased probably due to lack of capital and difficulties with water at depth.
This reef is one of a number of reefs operated during 1872 to 1873 on the south side of Little River to the east of Dalmorton. Other nearby reefs included the Morning Star, Florence Irving, Charles Dickens and KrohmanTs reefs. These reefs were described as varying between 0.1 m. and 1.0 m. in width and, except for rich patches which were gouged out, varying in grade between 12 and 30 gm. Au/tonne. The Morning Star produced gold at shallow depth from a reef averaging one metre in width and grading in excess of 30 gm/tonne. In January 1873 a tunnel was commenced at the level of the Little River to intersect the reef at depth, however by May 1873 the cost of driving, owing to bad management, was so prohibitive the tunnel was abandoned at 10 metres. The Charles Dickens reef was 0.61 m. wide showing free gold in a shaft 9 m. deep sunk in 1873. The Golden Gate reef formation included a vein 0.23 m. wide with visible gold at a depth of 7.5 m.
This reef is located in the vicinity of the Excelsior and Magpie reefs. The reef is flat-lying and was reputedly easy to work. A test crushing in 1891 for 30 tonnes yielded about 60 gm. Au/tonne and up until 1893 a further 176.2 tonnes yielded 11.7 kgm. of gold at an average grade of 66.5 gm./tonne. Mining was probably selective and the average grade of the whole reef is not known.
This area is located about 4.5 kilometres west of Dalmorton with several reefs worked by a company. Trial crushings in 1891 averaged about 33 gm. Au/tonne however funds ran out and the company was liquidated. Selective mining by individuals in 1892 produced 9 tonnes yielding 58.75 gm/tonne but no further work was recorded.
This reef is located on Pine Creek about 1400 metres downstream from the Maximilian reef west of Dalmorton. It extends over more than 200 metres striking south-east. It was reported that the reef varied in width between 15 cm. and 46 cm. at surface widening to around 1.25 metres and carrying rich coarse gold in a shaft sunk to a depth of 41 metres in 1872. This was the deepest shaft sunk throughout the district in the 1870's. Crushing of quartz from the Golden Spur took place at Dalmorton in April, 1873 but no records of yields are available.
The reef was discovered in 1903 about 2.5 to 3 kilometres south of Dalmorton. A bulk sample of 4 tonnes was sent to the Cockle Creek Smelting Works for treatment yielding 15 gm. Au/tonne. The owners persevered for a time in the hope that the grade would improve with depth but finally gave up, probably through lack of funds.
Information on this reef is very limited. It is known that a trial crushing in 1895 yielded 39 gm. Au/tonne but no activity followed until 1897 when the reef was worked for a short while by tributors.
This reef is located about 3 km. south-east of Dalmorton and is also known as the Sir Hercules or Hercules Robinson. The reef strikes at 110° over several hundred metres, dips to the south, and varies in width between 0.25 m. and 0.65m. The reef was originally worked in 1872 and a trial crushing of 1.5 tonnes yielded about 30 gm. Au/tonne, however no work was done until 1883 when a total of 37.5 tonnes of ore yielded 1.46 kgm. of gold (38.9 gm. Au/tonne). In 1889 a shaft was started but no further reports are available.
This reef is located 3 kilometres west of the Tower Hill mine and about 2 kilometres northwest of Dalmorton. The original mine was about 100 metres from workings on the Australian Chieftain reef. The Hibernian reef was worked during 1872-1873 and two shafts were sunk to 9m. and 12 m. depth. The reef is a chocolate colour gossanous rock containing quartz veins running through it and was one metre in width at 12 m. depth getting wider and richer with depth. A significant quantity of reef material with strong gold mineralization was stockpiled at surface and the property changed ownership in May 1873. There are no records of crushing. The nearby Australian Chieftain reef was worked during 1873, a shaft was sunk to a depth of 6.5 metres, and, although some ore carrying visible gold was raised, none was crushed.
This reef is about 11 kilometres by road east of Dalmorton and was mined in 1873. 144 tonnes were reported to have been crushed yielding an average recovery of 19.6 gm. Au/tonne which was only marginally economic. The reef has an average width of about 0.5 m. (varying between 0.3 m. and 1.0 m.).
This reef, to the south of the Golden Hope area, is about 240 metres long striking east-west. Development work on this reef used government aid and included about 50 metres of driving along the reef which averaged 0.41 m. in width. Payable gold values and rich specimens were reported in ferruginous quartz but no mining was reported. A larger parallel reef was discovered nearby and a shallow shaft was sunk but no further information is available. Samples of reef quartz recently observed in the field contained some visible gold.
The major reef line, located 2.6 kilometres north of Dalmorton, extends east-west over a distance of about 300 metres. Two reefs, known as the Bohemian and the Victoria were operated in the 1870's; they junction at a similar bearing and may be parts of the same reef formation. The zone was discovered in 1872 and a trial crushing, conducted in Sydney, in early 1873 yielded 650 gm. Au/tonne. The reef was described as strong and well-defined, 0.25 m. in width and very rich with gold showing freely. Although some rich quartz was stockpiled, the operators encountered difficulties in having ore crushed and ceased activities in 1873. The costs of mining, carting ore to Dalmorton and crushing were equivalent to 8 gm. Au/tonne, 24 gm. Au/tonne and 8 gm. Au/tonne respectively. An additional reef close to the Bohemian reef, known as the Chieftain, was also worked in 1873 and again, although some ore carrying rich gold was raised, none was crushed. In 1886, the area was taken over by the New Bendigo Company which erected a two head stamper battery. A Trial crushing was started however work ceased when one of the principal shareholders was accidently killed. No further activity took place, except in 1898 when a small patch of very rich alluvial was worked just north of the reefs.
The location of this reef is south-east of the Union reef and about 4.7 kilometres south of Dalmorton. Little is known about it except that a shaft was sunk to 9 metres depth in 1886 and 24 metres of driving along the reef was completed. Only high grade gold specimens were extracted.
This reef is located close to Chandler's Creek and was first discovered in 1891 on the side of a very steep hill, known as Lady Jersey Hill. Five experienced miners first worked the reef at surface and a trial crushing of 4.93 tonnes of quartz yielded 32.8 gm. Au/tonne. At surface the reef is sometimes over 12 metres in width. A Sydney syndicate purchased the lease in 1892 and a tunnel 31 metres long was constructed striking the reef 37 metres below the surface at which depth the reef was more than 3 metres wide surrounded by soft iron-stained slate. The values of gold in this portion of the reef are reputed to have been low (10 to 12 gm. Au/tonne) and the syndicate withdrew. No further activities are known to have taken place.
This reef was one of the early reefs discovered near the Mann River in 1882. The prospector's (Sneath and Party) reported good gold values, but an attempt to raise capital was apparently not successful. By comparison with the areas around the Little River, access into the Mann River area was very difficult and costs of carting equipment very high.
The location of this reef, south of Dalmorton, is unknown. A battery was erected in 1905 by the owners, Mulligan and Ford, and a shaft was sunk to a depth of 18 metres. Tunnels were driven along the reef at the 9 m. and 12 m. levels. The reef averaged 0.65 metres in width and 76 tonnes of ore yielded 33.8 gm. Au/tonne. The reef at the bottom level had recoveries less than 30 gm./tonne and work ceased in 1906.
This reef is situated about one kilometre south-east of the Isabella reef to the west of Dalmorton and had been operated during the early 1870's. In 1873 the reef was described as a "fine wide reef" rich in gold and some of the ore was said to have yielded as high as 218 gm. Au/tonne. In 1877 the reef was re-opened and 70 tonnes of quartz were stockpiled utilizing a shaft 14 metres deep. The stockpile was estimated to have an average grade in excess of 30 gm. Au/tonne, however the cost of carting the material to a battery proved prohibitive. The reef is about 300 metres long and strikes at 105°. In 1889 government aid was granted to deepen the shaft to 45 metres however reports only state that it reached a depth of 16.5 metres.
The main reef (sometimes called the Lady Emily Reef) strikes at about 65° crossing Cherry Tree Creek 800 metres south of the Mann River. It can be traced over about 1000 metres, dips at 60° to 70° to the south east, varies in width between 0.3 m. and 1.0 m., and is cut by several narrow "leaders". The reef was discovered around 1883 and until 1886 various groups worked portions of the reef to shallow depth, the deepest workings (18 metres) being on "Taylors" claim. In 1887, the Little Dora Company took over and between 1887 and 1889 constructed a tunnel and roads and erected a stamper battery. Costs were high, however in 1888 about 215 tonnes of ore yielded 8.62 kilograms of gold for an average of 40 gm. Au/tonne. Mining on surrounding claims were reported to have recoveries as high as 60 gm/tonne. In 1889 a crushing of 152 tonnes recovered only 13 gm. Au/tonne leading to losses and work was suspended; the reef material was reported to be "heavily charged with pyrite." In 1891, a new group took over the lease and changed the name to the Adelaide Mine, however they encountered difficulty in treating the rock which contained pyrite, silver, galena and arsenopyrite, and recoveries were poor. In 1896 a new group, the Little Dora Syndicate, took over and spent significant capital, constructing an aerial tramway for ore cartage and adding a "Woodbury" concentrator (which is still in the area) to improve recoveries. By 1897 trial crushings gave good returns, the mine was being opened up more intensively and more milling machinery was ordered. In 1898, 462 tonnes of rock were crushed yielding 17.6 kgms. of gold (38.1 gm./tonne). By this time costs of landing goods and machinery to the site were becoming prohibitive and operations ceased. It is also likely that the presence of sulphides below the oxidized zone lowered recoveries of gold (treatment was relatively primitive compared to metallurgical methods today). It is of interest to note that prospectors were reported to have found a reef of quartz near the Mann River containing arsenopyrite and galena with values of gold and silver up to 830 gm/tonne and 1470 gm/tonne respectively, however they refused to give the Mining Registrar at Dalmorton any information. During a recent visit to the area it was noted that most of the old workings at the Little Dora Mine have collapsed and the reefs were covered. A few chips from a reef (0.4 m. width at this location) about 500 metres northeast of the main workings assayed 2.10 gm. Au/tonne; this sample would not be representative of the reef however the value is anomalous. The quartz was very hard and contained no visible sulphides at this location.
This reef was the second reef worked in the district, after the Union, and is about 800 metres south-west of the Union reef and about 3.5 kilometres south of Dalmorton. The reef is more than 150 metres long, striking nearly north-south (345° bearing) and averages about 0.5 m. in width. During the 1870's a shaft had been sunk to 10.5 metres and 59 tonnes yielded 30.6 gm. Au/tonne. A dam and crushing plant were being constructed but, according to E.F. Pittman (1880), capital was exhausted owing to "reckless" expenditure and bad management and the mine was closed. Between 1880 and 1885 work was conducted by a Mr. Jackson intermittently and 30 to 40 tonnes was raised, but no record of crushing is known.
This reef is about 7.4 kilometres south of Dalmorton and strikes north-easterly from the Magpie Range for about 400 metres. Numerous workings are present along the Range which trends east-west over 1200 metres, however the only recorded work is on the Magpie reef. The reef i s narrow (about 6.5 centimetres) but produced high values. In 1889, 4.35 tonnes of reef material were crushed yielding 1.84 kilograms of gold (426 gm. Au/tonne). No further information is available except that some work was being done in 1891.
This reef was discovered as late as 1910 near Springbrook about 12 km. to the west of Dalmorton and apparently 61 tonnnes of material yielded about 3.6 kgms. of gold (approx. 60 gm./tonne).
This reef is located about 700 metres north west of the Lone Star workings, striking 345° over about 200 metres. The reef is 0.5m. in width. A shaft was sunk to 9 metres in depth in the 1870's but no rock was crushed.
This reef strikes north-south over more than 150 metres in length and is just west of Pine Creek and about 3.1 kilometres south westerly from Dalmorton. In 1872 a portion of the reef formation, containing a quartz vein 0.3 m. wide, was worked but no production figures are available.
This was one of the first reefs worked in the Mann River area. It was reported in 1882 that a shaft had been sunk to 13 m. depth and 3 m. of driving along the reef, which was 0.9 m. wide, had been completed. It was reported at this time by the Mining Registrar that he had not visited the area as the last 11 kilometres into the Mann River was "unrideable". The prospectors seem to have experienced similar difficulties as they survived for some time taking only very high grade specimens out of the area for crushing.
This reef is about 35 kilometres by road north-west of Dalmorton, and was discovered in 1898. The reef was 0.38 m. wide at surface, thickening to 1.25 m. at a depth of 4 metres. Scarcity of water made crushing difficult at this time, however in 1898, 13.2 tonnes yielded 51.3 gm. Au/tonne and in 1899 41.7 tonnes yielded 62.5 gm. Au/tonne. In 1900 some rock was crushed yielding 35 gm. Au/tonne, but it is not certain how much.
This reef was discovered in 1888 and is about 1000 metres east of Garden Hill, south of Dalmorton. The reef strikes south easterly over about 300 metres and varies between 0.6 m. and 1.5 m. in width. In 1889, 65 tonnes of quartz was crushed yielding about 30 gm. /tonne. An attempt was made to raise capital for development but was apparently unsuccessful as the grade was considered only marginal.
In 1891, the discovery of a number of high grade gold reefs at Mount Poole near Frenchman's Flat at Springbrook 12 kms. west of Dalmorton and close to the road on the north side of the Little River, caused a minor gold-rush in the district and the establishment of a town at Springbrook. At least five major parallel reefs known in order as Jimmy's, Bonnar's, Snake, Marvel and Kerry reefs, all carrying gold, were uncovered and worked along line by three companies - The Mount Poole Gold Mining Company, Mount Poole Marvel Gold Mining Company and Mount Poole New Era Gold Mining Company. The Mount Poole G.M. Company encountered more logistical difficulties than the other companies and was not as successful, and often applied for Government aid. The company did however construct a tunnel cross-country which intersected Jimmy's and Bonnar's reef and encountered Snake reef, reported to be 1.7 m. wide at the end of the tunnel (91 metres) which was completed in March 1893 after nearly two years of driving. It is known that some shallow shafts were sunk and about 70 tonnes mined from Snake and Bonnarfs reef however little else is known. More information is available concerning the other two companies which follows.
MOUNT POOLE MARVEL
The Mount Poole Marvel Gold Mining Company was formed in 1891 initially to operate the Marvel reef, near Mt. Poole, which was reported to be 0.76 m. wide at surface and 1.32 m. wide at a depth of 5.2 metres. Initially bulk samples from the 5 m. level were sent to Sydney for test crushings; 4.32 tonnes of quartz yielded 90.4 gm. Au/tonne, and 1.83 tonnes of rubble yielded 127 gm. Au/tonne. Further test crushings, conducted at Dalmorton, of reef material taken from a depth of 10.5 metres yielded 413 gm. Au/tonne from 11.96 tonnes. In 1892, 167.6 tonnes yielded 5 kgm. of gold (30 gm. Au/tonne) and 300 tonnes were ready for crushing. By 1893 five reefs were being worked, a new spur-road to a public crushing mill at Springwood had been constructed and the mine was being developed with the intention of providing 250 to 300 tonnes per month to the mill. Kerry's reef was developed to a depth of 7.3 m. where the reef formation was 1.07 m. in width consisting of a quartz vein 0.43 m. wide carrying massive pyrite and a little free gold, and the remainder consisting of brown iron-stained gossan carrying free gold. The Bonnar's and Snake reefs, about 45 metres west of the Marvel reef, are close together and the quartz vein material extracted from the reef formations was reported to be 0.46 m. and 0.51 m. wide respectively. No specific information on Jimmy's reef is available, however it is known to have been one of the widest reefs and a large amount of quartz from this and the Marvel reef had been stock-piled by mid 1893 ready for crushing. Difficulties seem to have been encountered with the public battery at Springbrook which in 1894 was removed to Coramba N.S.W., where rich discoveries had recently been made, virtually closing all activities except for some work the same year by tributors who had to cart ore 25 km. to the nearest battery.
MOUNT POOLE NEW ERA
The Mount Poole New Era Gold Mining Company started work on the various reefs at Mount Poole in 1891 and two test crushings yielded 32 gm. Au/tonne and 107 gm. Au/ tonne. Reefs tested were the Marvel and the New Era the latter varying in width between 0.38 m. and 1.07 m. Litigation over the ownership delayed operations for more than a year but was decided in favour of the company which then raised additional capital. In 1893, 59 tonnes of ore taken from a tunnel into the New Era reef, yielded 97.8 gm. Au/tonne. Later in the year 406 tonnes of ore yielded 25 gm. Au/tonne. In 1894, the mine was idle, having encountered similar problems to those of the adjoining Marvel company. In 1895, it was reported that 20 tonnes of quartz was crushed and a yield of only 8.6 gm. Au/tonne was recovered. The mine was abandoned soon after.
A number of sub-parallel reefs striking generally northsouth were prospected in the early 1880's, about 400 metres west of Cherry Tree Creek, south of the Mann River. The main line of reefs extends over a distance of 800 metres through Mount Rae, the main reef formation varying in width between two and four metres; other known reefs have widths of 0.2 m. to 1.1 m. Owing to the high cost of carting ore and lack of treatment facilities, no quartz, except for selected high grade specimens, was crushed until 1891 when a group of prospectors (Rae & Party) reported good gold, one crushing yielding 250 gm. Au/tonne. In 1893, the mine at Mount Rae was taken over by another group, Cosgrove and Brennan, who crushed 58 tonnes for a yield of 53.7 gm. Au/tonne. In 1895, the property was purchased by an English syndicate who, the following year, floated a company (Mount Rae Gold Mining Company Ltd.) on the London stock market. A ten head stamper battery and other machinery were erected and the main reef developed with a work-force of thirty to forty men. The company held three gold leases (6.1 hectares) covering a north-south strike length of 430 metres. During 1897, 745 tonnes of quartz was crushed, but the returns were "not up to expectations." In 1898, 711 tonnes of quartz yielded 6.47 kilograms of gold for an average of only 9.1 gm. Au/tonne, which was reported as being "not nearly sufficent to pay expenses." Percentage recovery of gold was probably poor and such yields meant the company sustained heavy losses, so the mine closed down and, except for limited prospecting activities in 1908, was never reopened.
Several reefs were discovered at Mount Remarkable near Sheep Station Creek north of the Little River about two kilometres north-east of Mount Poole. A tunnel was driven 84 metres along a reef 0.3 metres wide bearing northerly and about 120 tonnes were mined; 19 tonnes were crushed yielding 127 gm. Au/tonne. The yield of the remaining tonnage is unrecorded. In 1895 the mine was reported to be turning out payable stone and in 1896 another tunnel was being constructed with Government aid. Mining continued sporadically until 1911 when a second reef was opened up about 40 m. from the first reef and a shaft was sunk. This reef was up to 1 m. wide and could be traced over 125 metres in strike length, bearing at 70° and dipping at about 60° south easterly. The major activity at the Mt. Remarkable mine occured between 1936 and 1941 when 694 tonnes of ore yielded 14.12 kilograms of gold (20.3 gm/tonne). A "clean-up" in 1942 of 41 tonnes yielded 4 gm/tonne; at that time it was reported that about 500 tonnes of tailings were stockpiled averaging 4.7 gm. Au/tonne. A recent channel sample taken over a one metre wide section of the second reef at the face of the lower tunnel was analyzed at 20 gm. Au/tonne. The reef consisted of argillaceous rock with a number of narrow quartz veins. A channel sample 15 cm. wide near the end of the upper tunnel gave a value of 11.7 gm. Au/tonne (footwall and hangingwall samples went 0.58 and 0.55 gm. Au/tonne). A grab sample of black slate from mullock near the crosscut adit leading to the lower tunnel showed a value of 0.44 gm. Au/tonne. A grab sample recently taken from a stockpile near the first reef, above the second reef workings, gave a value of 58 gm. Au/tonne.
This reef is located close to Springbrook, west of Dalmorton and was discovered in early 1893. The reef formation is 0.6 m. wide and was reported to be carrying gold in payable quantities. It strikes north east across the bedding, whereas all the other known reefs nearby at Mt. Poole are conformable with the bedding of the country rock. No reports of mining, if any, are available, however it is known that the removal of the public milling battery at Springbrook in 1894 caused the demise of mining activities at Mt. Poole, so it is probable the reef was never developed.
The Pine Creek reef, about 2.6 kilometres south-west of Dalmorton consists of a near-vertical lode of siliceous iron stone extending east from Pine creek over about 500 metres and was prospected by the Occidental Gold-mining Company in 1899-1900 with several tunnels, shafts and cross-cuts to determine the size and grade. 25 tonnes were sent to the Cockle Creek Smelter Works for cyanide treatment tests , however results showed about 12 gm. Au/tonne. Over a period of about two years several trial crushings were conducted on reef material from many parts of the reef and gold values were found to be very even over an average width of 4.6 metres though too low to be payable at the time — varying between 9 gm. and 12.5 gm. Au/tonne and averaging 11 gm. Au/tonne. The owner's still intended to try to operate in a large way with extensive machinery, however all attempts to raise capital were apparently unsuccessful and activities ceased in 1901. A large sample of sulphide-bearing siliceous rock taken in 1981 from broken rock surrounding the main shaft was analyzed at 10.6 gm. Au/tonne. Recent field work to the west of Pine Creek indicates the lode could extend over at least 3000 metres.
This reef is located north of Dalmorton near the "Scottish Chief." It was first worked in 1872-1873 and later in 1892 when 10 tonnes were crushed for a yield of 65.3 gm. Au/tonne.
The main reef crosses Cherry Tree Creek 1400 metres south of the Mann River (600 metres south of the Little Dora reef) and extends from there a distance of 650 metres on a bearing of 65° towards Mann Peak, dipping 60° to 70° south-easterly. Various prospectors worked portions of a reef about 50 metres north of and sub-parallel to the main reef during the 1880's. Part of the main reef, east of Cherry Tree Creek, was worked during 1907 to 1910 by Brown and Mc Master who erected a small stamper battery. In 1908, 49.8 tonnes of ore was crushed returning 37.5 gm. Au/tonne and in 1909, 69.1 tonnes yielded 47.3 gm. Au/tonne. A considerable amount of development work had been done and in 1909-1910 the lessees endeavoured to raise additional capital so that operations could be expanded to a larger and more economical scale. It is apparent that efforts to raise capital were not successful and activities ceased. The gold price at that time had weakened and gold ventures had generally lost favour with investors.
This reef is located in the ranges north of Dalmorton close to Jackass Creek. In 1877 a trial crushing yielded about 30 gm. Au/tonne, however the operation was abandoned owing to the difficulty and expense of carting ore to a battery in the south. This fate befell other nearby reefs including the Pioneer (mentioned above), Ben Bolt, Victoria , Chieftain and Heatherbell reefs some of which had gold grades in excess of 60 gm/tonne. Activity at the Scottish Chief was revived in the late 1880's and by 1891 a 10 head stamper battery and water dam had been completed at the site. Work commenced soon after and 46 tonnes yielded 17.6 gm/tonne, a lower grade than expected. Mining ceased soon after.
This property near Cunglebung, not far from the Abercrombie reef, north of Dalmorton was first worked in 1873 by four different groups. The major reef, Smith's reef, averages two metres in width trending east-west, junctioning with another wide reef running north-south and close to four other reefs with varying strikes. In 1873 a shaft was sunk to 17 metres on Smith's reef and two shafts were sunk on a nearby richer reef (Kelly's) from which some ore gave a good return i n mid-1873. Later that year an air-shaft was sunk on Smith's reef and over 200 tonnes of quartz was raised and stock-piled. No stamper battery operated close by, however in 1874 several hundreds of tonnes of quartz from Smith's reef was carted to a stamper battery and yielded an average of 7.86 gm. Au/tonne. The yield did not even pay for the crushing costs (approximately equivalent to 8 gm. Au/tonne at that time) and all activity ceased. In 1880, the area was visited by E.F. Pittman (Government Geological Surveyor) who described Smith's reef as "an immense mass of stone."
This reef is situated at Stockyard Creek 13 kms. (straightline) south of Dalmorton, however little is known about it. It was originally worked by a syndicate from Hillgrove, N.S.W. in 1897 and in the following year various items of machinery were erected and a road constructed. The only reported production was in 1899 when 40.6 tonnes yielded 28.35 gm. Au/tonne and in 1900 the mine was abandoned.
The St. Patrick's reef, located 3.7 kms. south from Dalmorton, east of the Union reef, strikes at a bearing of 115° over about 350 metres. It was first worked in 1872 and later during 1885 but no production records are available.
The Surprise reef is located near Cunglebung, north west of Dalmorton. The only reported production was in 1898 when 10 tonnes was crushed yielding 33 gm. Au/tonne.
The Switzerland reef is located at the head-waters of Wellington Creek, 6400 metres up-stream from its junction with Cunglebung Creek. The reef is 15 centimetres wide, bearing 5° and dips at about 60° to the east. The reef was reported to be very rich - large blocks of reef-quartz, put on display in Grafton in January, 1873, were "thickly impregnated" with gold, however, owing to logistical difficulties no material was ever crushed. However, the reef is notable for the fact that the areas downstream from it were the scene of very active alluvial mining during the 1860 and 70's, - Alluvia! washing was known to continue on a limited scale into the 1880's.
In 1907 a prospector, Taylor, who had previously been active further north in the Mann River, discovered two reefs at Cunglebung one of which yielded good values, but no production was reported.
The Tower Hill or Perseverance reef was actively mined during the early 1870's and prior to 1875 was reported to have crushed 2069 tonnes of quartz yielding 68,195 grams of gold (33 gm. Au/tonne) however at relatively shallow depth (20 metres) heavy water flows were encountered and mining ceased. The reef strikes at 105° and was averaging 0.77 metres in width at the lowest level. A fault off-sets the reef and most mining activity was conducted on the western side of the fault where the reef can be traced over more than 100 metres. On the eastern side of the fault the length of reef is unknown but grades were slightly higher. A number of parallel reefs were worked averaging 23 to 32 gm. Au/tonne, notably "Webb's line of reef", 0.6 m. wide, from which 119 tonnes were reported to yield 27.2 gm. Au/tonne; this line of reef is located about 90 metres north of the perseverance reef. Gold from the various reefs at Tower Hill was produced from ferruginous quartz, and below the water-table high quantities of sulphide (mainly pyrite) were encountered. In March, 1877, the Clarence Pioneer Quartz Mining Company was formed to construct a tunnel to intersect the main Perseverance reef 75 m. to 85 m. below the level of the top of the Tower Hill shaft. After tunnelling 147.4 metres the company ran out of funds and work ceased. Except for a parcel of one tonne of selected quartz sent to Sydney for treatment (yielding 1555 gm. Au) no further work was done until 1881 when the Tower Hill Company resumed extension of the tunnel. From this time until 1894 an amazing saga of intermittent capital raising and mismanagement, diverted often by periods of mining "leaders", saw the tunnel extended to a total length of 335 metres without achieving its objective of intersecting the main reef. The tunnel, in fact, ran parallel to the reef for some distance. In 1913, a crosscut was driven about 24 metres, apparently in the wrong direction, to intersect the reef, and no further work was conducted until the period 1936 to 1939 when different individuals raised a total of about 14.5 tonnes of ore from a depth of about 15 metres in the old workings yielding 0.59 kgms. of gold (40.7 gm. Au/tonne). No significant activity has occurred since that time.
This reef discovered in early 1871 was the first reef operated in the Dalmorton Goldfield and is located at Quart Pot Creek about 3.1 kilometres south of Dalmorton, and at surface averaged 0.46 metres in width, over about 200 metres, with a strike of 807deg;. In 1873, the Triumph Company constructed a tunnel 45 metres long to intersect the reef at depth and 91 tonnes of quartz from a shaft 27 metres i n depth, yielded 37.6 gm. Au/tonne. In 1883, the Union Company sunk five shafts at various parts along the reef varying in depth between 7.5m. and 40 m. at which latter depth the reef had widened to 1.1 metres. From stopes between the 36.5 metre level and surface 75 tonnes yielded only 21 gm. Au/tonne and although work continued in subsequent years no further production figures were reported until 1886 when only 0.81 kgm. of gold was recovered from 114,8 tonnes (7.04 gm. Au/tonne) and the company was wound up.
This reef is situated close to Chandler's Creek south of Dalmorton. The only reported production was in 1891 when 18 tonnes of ore yielded 41.5 gm, Au/tonne.
This was a newly discovered reef in 1904 about 4.5 kilometres south of Dalmorton. The reef encouraged the owners to erect a three head stamper battery, however a test crushing of 10 tonnes yielded only 28 gm. Au/tonne and activities ceased.
This reef is located 650 metres north of the Little River, about 3.6 kms. north-westerly from Dalmorton, and extends about 200 metres bearing 100°. The reef was worked during 1872-1873; a shaft was sunk to a depth of 21.3 metres and 25 tonnes of reef quartz was stockpiled. It was reported that the reef was 0.62 m. wide near surface, enlarging and becoming more solid with depth. There are no records of any work after 1873, and it is probable the operators lacked the necessary capital to erect treatment facilities.
This reef strikes south-east over about 600 metres in known length. The only information available indicates that a tunnel was being driven along the reef from Chandler's Creek i n 1895.
The location of the Working Miners reef is uncertain, however it was apparently a wide reef. The only information available is as follows: 1891 - 11 tonnes yielded 105.9 gm. Au/tonne; 1892 - 15 tonnes yielded 49.8 gm. Au/tonne.
- Multiple Targets
- Short Timeframe to Production
- Pipeline of Ongoing Projects
- Further Exploration Potential
- Close to Infrastructure and Major Towns
An array of projects varying in depth, style and mineralisation.